William Morris Gallery

Category: Art

The William Morris Gallery, opened by Prime Minister Clement Attlee in 1950, is the only public museum devoted to England’s best known and most versatile designer. The Gallery is located at Walthamstow in Morris’s family home from 1848 to 1856, the former Water House, a substantial Georgian dwelling of about 1750 which is set in its own extensive grounds (now Lloyd Park).

The Gallery’s internationally important collections illustrate William Morris’s life, work and influence.

There are permanent displays of printed, woven and embroidered fabrics, rugs, carpets, wallpapers, furniture, stained glass and painted tiles designed by Morris himself and by Edward Burne-Jones, Philip Webb, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Ford Madox Brown and others who together founded the firm of Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Company in 1861.


Share on Facebook Tweet this location