Wellington Arch

Category: Sculptures and statues

Wellington Arch, also known as Constitution Arch, is a triumphal arch located to the south of Hyde Park in central London. It was built in 1828 to a design by Decimus Burton as a memorial to Sir Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, soldier and Prime Minister.

The arch originally stood next to Apsley House as a grand western entrance to London and was crowned with a giant statue of the Duke, by Matthew Cotes Wyatt. In 1883, the arch was moved to its present location on Hyde Park Corner to facilitate a road widening scheme. It is today in the centre of a large traffic island.


Share on Facebook Tweet this location