Totteridge and Whetstone tube station
Totteridge and Whetstone tube station is a London Underground station in north London.
The station is the penultimate one on the High Barnet branch of the Northern Line, between Woodside Park and High Barnet stations, and in Travelcard Zone 4. It is on the northern side of Totteridge Lane (A5109), somewhat to the east of the Dollis Brook (the traditional boundary between Totteridge and Whetstone) hence is in Whetstone.
Totteridge and Whetstone station was planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was originally opened as Whetstone and Totteridge in 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over the EH&LR). The station was on a branch of a line that ran from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate.
After the 1921 Railways Act created the Big Four railway companies the line was, from 1923, part of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER). The section of the High Barnet branch north of East Finchley was incorporated into the London Underground network through the “Northern Heights” project begun in the late 1930s. Totteridge and Whetstone station was first served by Northern Line trains in April 1940. It still retains much of its original Victorian architectural character today.