The Royal Mews
The Royal Mews is in the grounds of Buckingham Palace, to the south of Buckingham Palace Gardens, near Grosvenor Place.
In the 1760s George III moved some of his day-to-day horses and carriages to the grounds of Buckingham House, which he had acquired in 1762 for his wife’s use, but the main royal stables housing the ceremonial coaches and their horses remained at the King’s Mews. However when his son George IV had Buckingham Palace converted into the main royal residence in the 1820s the whole stables establishment was moved.
The old Mews at Charing Cross was demolished and Trafalgar Square was built on the site. The current Royal Mews was built to designs by John Nash and were completed in 1825. They have been modified extensively since.
The Royal Mews is open to the public on certain days. The Gold State Coach and other carriages are kept there, along with about 30 horses.
There is also a Royal Mews overlooking Hampton Court Green near Hampton Court, but it is not open to the public. The old stables of St James’s Palace, which stood where Lancaster House is now, were also sometime referred to as the Royal Mews.