The Boundary Estate
The Boundary Estate is a housing development, formally opened in 1900, in the East End of London, England. It is situated in the north western corner of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and on the boundary with Shoreditch, in the London Borough of Hackney.
The estate, constructed from 1890, was one of the earliest social housing schemes, and was built by the London County Council as the world’s first council housing, replacing the Friars Mount slum, the rubble of which was used to construct a mound in the middle of Arnold Circus at the centre of the development, housing a still extant bandstand. The estate consists of multi-story brick structures, surrounding the central mound. By modern standards, each unit is small and lacking in amenities.
The flats remain and are Grade II listed, together with the bandstand. Despite the lack of modern amenities they remain popular with tenants and there is an active community. The Rochelle School is now a community arts center.