Kenwood House

Category: Tourist attractions

Kenwood House (also known as the Iveagh Bequest) is a former stately home in Hampstead Heath in London. It is run by English Heritage.

The original house was early 17th century. The orangery was added in about 1700. In 1754 it was bought by William Murray, 1st Earl of Mansfield. He commissioned Robert Adam to remodel it from 1764-1779. Adam added the library (one of his most famous interiors) to balance the orangery, and added the Ionic portico at the entrance. In 1793-6 George Saunders added two wings on the north side, and the offices and kitchen buildings and brewery (now the restaurant) to the side.


Share on Facebook Tweet this location