Hyde Park Barracks
The Hyde Park Barracks are located in central London, England on the southern edge of Hyde Park. Historically they were often known as Knightsbridge Barracks and this name is still sometimes used informally. Hyde Park Barracks is three-quarters of a mile from Buckingham Palace, close enough for the officers and men of the Household Cavalry to be available to respond speedily to any emergency at the Palace.
The first buildings on the site were constructed for the Horse Guards in 1795, and a riding school and stables designed by Philip Hardwick were added in 1857. These buildings were replaced with new ones by TH Wyatt in the 1880s, which in turn were demolished to make way for modern buildings designed by Sir Basil Spence, and completed in 1970.