The Horniman Museum is a museum in Forest Hill, South London, England. Commissioned in 1898, it opened in 1901 and was designed by Charles Harrison Townsend.
The museum was founded by Victorian tea trader Frederick John Horniman and contained his collection of natural history, cultural artefacts and musical instruments.
In 1911 an additional building was donated by Frederick Horniman’s son Emslie Horniman. In 1999 the museum was redeveloped and re-opened in 14 June 2002.
The Horniman specialises in anthropology, natural history and musical instruments and has a collection of 350,000 objects. The ethnography and music collections have Designated status. One of its most famous exhibits is the large collection of stuffed animals.
The Horniman Museum is a Non-Departmental Public Body of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.