The Hoover Building on Western Avenue in Perivale, West London is an example of Art Deco architecture, designed by Wallis, Gilbert and Partners.
Built for The Hoover Company it originally housed Hoover’s main UK manufacturing facility making vacuum cleaners, and employed up to 600 staff in the building’s offices and works. The original building (No.1) was built in 1932 and contained the main offices. Before the offices were completed plans were being put in place to add manufacturing facilities.
It is celebrated in the song “Hoover Factory” by Elvis Costello.
After the Second World War an additional five storey building (No.8) was built and stood to the north of the site alongside building No.5. Over the following years Hoover expanded their operations in the UK, building a new factory for cylinder vacuum cleaners in Cambuslang. Hoover continued manufacturing upright cleaners at the Hoover Building until the early 1980s when production was moved to the Cambuslang facility.
The office remained open at the site for a few more years until it too was eventually closed and Hoover left the site. The building remained empty for many years slowly falling into disrepair and, like many buildings of its generation, its future looked in doubt.
Another one of Wallis, Gilbert and Partners Art-Deco factories, the Firestone Building on the Great West Road in London was demolished over a bank holiday weekend in 1980. A listing to save the factory was issued but granted a day too late. All that remains of the Firestone Building today is the railing around the site. The same fate could have befallen the Hoover Building, but in 1987 the original building and canteen block were granted a Grade II* listing.