High Barnet tube station
High Barnet tube station is a London Underground station in High Barnet in north London.
The station is the terminus of the High Barnet branch of the Northern Line and is in Travelcard Zone 5. It is the northernmost station on the Northern Line and is situated 10.2 miles (16.4 km) north north-west of Charing Cross. The next station south is Totteridge & Whetstone station.
High Barnet station was planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was originally opened in 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over the EH&LR). It was the last station on a branch of a line that ran from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate.
After the 1921 Railways Act created the Big Four railway companies the line was, from 1923, part of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER). The section of the High Barnet branch north of East Finchley was incorporated into the London Underground network through the “Northern Heights” project begun in the late 1930s. High Barnet station was first served by Northern Line trains in April 1940. It still retains much of its original Victorian architectural character today.