Greenwich Park

Category: Parks and Open spaces

One of the Royal Parks of London, and the first to be enclosed (in 1433), Greenwich Park is a former deer-park in Greenwich and one of the largest single green spaces in south east London.

The National Maritime Museum and Queen’s House lie just to the north, and the Royal Greenwich Observatory lies right in the heart of the park. On the western edge of the park is the Ranger’s House, looking out on to the adjacent heath of Blackheath.

The park stretches along a hillside and is perhaps best imagined as being on two levels. The lower level (closest to the Museum, Queen’s House and, beyond them, the River Thames) lies to the north; after a stiff walk uphill, there is a flat expanse that is, essentially, an enclosed extension of the plateau of Blackheath.


Share on Facebook Tweet this location