Blackfriars station is a London Underground and National Rail station complex situated in the Blackfriars district of the City of London, in London, England. The complex is in Travelcard Zone 1. The original Blackfriars station was opened in 1864, on the south bank of the River Thames. It closed in 1886 after the opening of Blackfriars Bridge, and a new station, then called St Paul’s opened on the north bank. It was renamed to Blackfriars station in 1937.