Archway tube station
Archway tube station is a London Underground station in north London, underneath the Archway Tower, at the intersection of Holloway Road and Junction Road in the area known as Archway.
It is on the High Barnet branch of the Northern Line, between Highgate and Tufnell Park. It is in both Travelcard Zone 2 and Zone 3.
Originally named Highgate, the Leslie Green designed station opened on 22 June 1907 as one of the northern terminals of what was then the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR).
In 1930 the station was upgraded with escalators to replace the original lifts and the secondary entrance was replaced with a modern design by Charles Holden, virtually identical to one he built at the same time at Hammersmith.
In 1939, the line was extended to East Finchley station as part of the New Works Programme. The station was renamed Archway after the nearby high road bridge over Archway Road, with the Highgate name being reassigned to the new station constructed beneath the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) surface station of the same name. The platform walls once featured the distinctive and elegantly simple tiling schemes used by Holden on the underground stations constructed at this time. Cream tiles were used throughout with the station name band formed of letter shaped tiles inset into a background of cream tiles incised to accept the lettering.