All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club
The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club is based in Wimbledon in South London. It is best known as the venue for the Wimbledon Championships, but is also a private members club. It was founded in 1868 as the All England Croquet Club and the then infant sport of tennis was added to its activities shortly afterwards.
The first Championships were held in 1877, when it changed its name to The All England Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club. In 1882, croquet was dropped from the name, as tennis had become the main activity of the club. But in 1889, it was restored and the club’s name became The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.