Aldwych Theatre

Category: Theatre


The Aldwych Theatre is a theatre on Aldwych in the West End of London.

The theatre was built as a pair with the Waldorf Theatre (now called the Novello Theatre), both being designed by W.G.R. Sprague. Funded by Seymour Hicks and built by Walter Wallis of Balham, the Aldwych theatre opened on December 23, 1905 with a production of Blue Bell.

In 1960, after intense speculation, it was announced that the Royal Shakespeare Company of Stratford-upon-Avon was to base its London productions in the Aldwych Theatre for the next three years. In fact they stayed for over 20 years, finally moving to the Barbican in 1982.


Share on Facebook Tweet this location


Aldwych Theatre