Locations in the category : Sculptures and statues

Nelson's Column

Nelson’s Column is a monument in Trafalgar Square, London, England. The column was built between 1840 and 1843 to commemorate Admiral Horatio Nelson’s death at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. The 5.5m (18ft) statue of Nelson stands on...

Continue Reading

Victoria Memorial

The Victoria Memorial is a sculpture in London, in front of Buckingham Palace. It was built by the sculptor Sir Thomas Brock, in 1911. The surround was constructed by the architect Sir Aston Webb, from 2,300 tons of white...

Continue Reading

Wellington Arch

Wellington Arch, also known as Constitution Arch, is a triumphal arch located to the south of Hyde Park in central London. It was built in 1828 to a design by Decimus Burton as a memorial to Sir Arthur Wellesley,...

Continue Reading

The Cenotaph

Probably the best-known cenotaph in the modern world is the one that stands in Whitehall, London. It was constructed from Portland stone between 1919-1920 by Sir Edwin Lutyens to replace an identical plaster cenotaph erected in 1919 for the...

Continue Reading

The Burghers of Calais

The Burghers of Calais (Les Bourgeois de Calais) is one of the most famous sculptures by Auguste Rodin, completed in 1888. It serves as a monument to an occurrence in 1347 during the Hundred Years War, when Calais, an...

Continue Reading

Dick Whittington’s cat

Dick Whittington's cat
Dick Whittington is a character in British pantomime, very loosely based on the real-life Richard Whittington. There are several versions of the traditional story, which tells how Dick, a boy from a poor family, sets out for London to...

Continue Reading

Cleopatra's Needle

Cleopatra’s Needles are a trio of obelisks in London, Paris (Place de la Concorde) and New York City. Each is made of red granite, stands about 21 metres (68 feet) high, weighs about 180 tons and is inscribed with...

Continue Reading

Albert Memorial

The Albert Memorial is situated in Kensington Gardens, London, England, directly to the north of the Royal Albert Hall. It was commissioned by Queen Victoria in memory of her beloved husband, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha who died of typhoid...

Continue Reading